Saturday, February 28, 2015

Conjectures and Meditations II -or- Jackie Poincar'e!

In which I connect  great philosophers with a fictitious TV character...@@@

A further notion of interest from Ian Stewart's Visions of Infinity can be attributed to philosopher and mathematician Henri Poincar'e*, but could not have been spoken more eloquently by Seinfeld! Super Lawyer Jackie Chiles himself!  Here I am referring to Poincar'e's methods of solving problems (and let's face it, I am willing to accept that he is an authority on such matters); that an idea usually does not develop instantly, like the appearance of light in a bulb (ironically our classic image of that moment of sudden understanding), but rather through the longer processes of:


Seinfeld! Super Lawyer Jackie Chiles; from the web!  


  • Preparation!  This stage might be thought of as the conscious management of an issue; recognizing the problem, defining it, collecting the necessary tools and applying conventional methods.  This seems to be the primary focus of much of our time and efforts.
  • Incubation!  But perhaps these efforts and our learnings and dispositions set up internal ramblings, struggles, and explorations.  And perhaps we are brave enough to share our thoughts with others who are interested and talented.  A little time, a little distance, a little help; and perhaps new and unconventional methods for attacking the issue emerge.
  • Illumination!  With a little luck and openness, perhaps we have that break-through, Aha! moment.  The issue is now seen in a different light; and perhaps this is a more productive path to follow.  Isn't this the goal?


Ideas and success and outcomes sometimes arise either internally, but more likely in response to feedback from "outside" your line of thinking.  One can only do so much; further progress probably depends on the contributions of others.   So if you're stuck on an issue, give it a rest!^^^  With the right tools on hand (let's assume you've done your homework, you've partnered with the right folks, and you remain open to new information), it's a matter of time for an incubus of an idea to form; with a bit more time and gentle nurturing, perhaps it can bloom into a productive solution.  

Basic ideas and unexpected links; Holy Crap! this does sound like a Seinfeld! script!  Perhaps I've just insulted Stewart and the legacy of Poincar'e; or perhaps I've uttered the source of genius behind Seinfeld!

But why am I interested in the is?  This is simply an expression of my growing interest in creativity.  I've often felt that I cannot work any harder; so I might as well work smarter.  And if I feel that way about work, surely I feel that way about life in general.  I've spent so much time and effort in the Preparation phase of handling life's matters; that work has been generally successful; and it has set me up for future success.  But I'm becoming more open to sharing and Incubation.  Increased efficiency, enjoyment and opportunity all sound like worthwhile goals; I just need to step away from some of the logistics of endlessly Preparing, and allow myself to continue to ruminate.  Meanwhile, I am open to any moments of Illumination!  Let's just hope that I am smart enough to recognize them and act upon them.

Maybe these are Long View issues and will affect my life-style choices 5, 10 or 20 years down the road.  Maybe I'll eat more veggies, or perhaps I'll be a Squid Monk.  Or both; or neither.  Alternatively, perhaps these are Material issues that will help me apply fishing techniques to new water or species with confidence, whether they are conventionally accepted or not.  Perhaps it will just lead to conversations with people I might not have otherwise spoken with.  Maybe I'll learn from them; maybe they'll learn from me.  Regardless, isn't it nice to think that our Preparations are leading to better outcomes, even if we don't really know what they might be?


***

@@@ I am still fuzzy and hazy from yesterday's sedation for S1-L5-L4 treatments.  You can judge.

*Please accept my apologies for the awkward spelling; my fonts appear to have limits!

^^^ If only this luxury were more available in our daily work lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment