Monday, March 2, 2015

Cousin Orson



Tyrion is imprisoned for possible regicide; he’s being visited by his King Slayer brother.* They reminisce about a certain dim relative, Cousin Orson, who had apparently been dropped on his head.  They recall, with nervous laughter, Orson’s single pre-occupation in life; smashing beetles.  All their memories of Orson are the same; of him sitting in the garden, smashing beetles with diligence and enthusiasm.

Young Tyrion had taken guilty pleasure in believing that Orson was worse off than he; and that was a rare category.  But Tyrion is a man of surprising depth, and he reveals that he became consumed with a study of Orson.  What were his motivations?  Where was the pleasure?  Why do this?

It’s not certain what insight Tyrion gained from his studies, because the conversation is cut short by the tolling of bells.  The brothers must immediately tend to other (life and death) matters.  Cousin Orson is (seemingly) immediately forgotten.

But, why was this scene included?  Will Cousin Orson be re-visited?  Did Tyrion learn something from Cousin Orson that will, in some manner, help him overcome another obstacle?  I don’t know; perhaps time will tell.

I’ve my own thoughts on this, and they came to me immediately as Orson was discussed.  I’ve explored these thoughts a bit elsewhere, but Orson may have achieved his personally most satisfactory role.  He might have been happy, even fulfilled.  After all, he appeared to have:

·       Autonomy; nobody was bossing him around or telling him how to smash beetles, or how many to smash.

·       Mastery; by all accounts he was remembered as very good at smashing beetles.  No vermin within reach escaped his attention.   And

·       Purpose; this is a bit sketchy, and perhaps only Orson knew for sure; but I suspect his enthusiasm for this work symbolizes his efforts within a just cause.  He knew and accepted his purpose; and he was acting in support of it.

Now, to each his own (so long as everything is fair and not at the expense of others), and folks are variously suited to or capable in each pursuit.  There are unlimited options, but with these elements in place, one has a chance at personal satisfaction.  I’m really close, and sometimes I’m actually there.  I make sure I appreciate those moments!  But my relationship with any of these elements can get a bit shaky at any given time;  and so I’m pleased to have adopted this model to get things back into balance for myself whenever I feel imposed upon, I fall short, or I simply question Why?


*This is, of course, taken from Season Four of Game of Thrones.

No comments:

Post a Comment