Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Spring 2015 has Sprung!




We’ve made a slow but relatively smooth transition from Winter to Spring.  There have been none of the dramatic temperature swings or massive thaws that are so common to Michigan Springs.  But over the last few weeks we’ve undeniably crept into the new season.  Recently, schedules aligned with a brief window of (predicted) relative warmth and acceptable river flows and clarity.  I decided to celebrate the beginning of My Spring by going fishing for suckers.  A trip to the Flat River in Lowell was in order; I’d inaugurate my open water fishing season like I have for the last five or so; with worms soaking on the bottom, light rods braced in forked sticks.

I thought I was a little early; there was still some snow on the ground, and I’m sure the water temperatures were still in the 30’s.  So I knew I might get skunked; but last year I felt is if I were too late; and since I could go, I decided that I might as well try!  Plus, my spot usually affords a surprise or two (bonus carp, exceptional numbers, or perhaps a shot at some game fish) every year.

I don’t think I ever caught or even saw a sucker in the Rhode Island waters of my youth (although creek chubs are another story.)  I know certain New Hampshire rivers were flush with them (Saco, Connecticut, Mink Brook, etc.), but I never targeted them specifically.  It wasn’t until I started steelheading here in Michigan (1986) that suckers entered my angling awareness.  My first-ever drift for steelies on the famed Betsie River was intercepted by a nice redhorse; and another angler that day caught a giant pre-spawn pike just downstream from me.  Everybody was there for the steelhead; but that pike was there for the suckers!  Detroit River walleyes, Muskegon River brown trout, Rogue River rainbows, Grand River salmon; all have subsequently morphed into suckers between my hooking and landing them.  Although not specifically targeted, each has been welcome to me.

But it wasn’t until five or six years ago that I settled into the habit of beginning my spring with suckers.  We had spent a pleasant evening at Fallasburg Park (one of our institutionalized Fun Family Friday destinations), and I got to observe a couple of locals partaking in the seasonal sucker fishery.  I wasn’t overly impressed with their beer or litter, but they were catching some fish; and this particular spot had all the elements for some migrating fish to pile up.  The spot got mentally filed away, and what do you know, I fished it with the kids one beautiful afternoon soon thereafter.  I’ve been coming back since.

With my day’s work done, Ollie having been sufficiently walked, worms procured and all else in place, I found myself stream-side at about 3:30 PM.  The specifics of the day are chronicled elsewhere (see below), but I enjoyed a pleasant 90 minutes or so, and I encountered a few fish.  Nothing amazing happened, but it was more-than-nice to finally start the 2015 Open Water Season, especially with some fish actually caught.


Today's set-up; light rod, 6-pound test, a hook, a worm, a couple of split shot and an extendable forked stick.



Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.


Catch!  Photograph!  Release!  It's not just for muskies!


Here's a shameless plug; if you're less interested in my "philosophies" and more interested in the actual fish I encounter, please check out the account of this day in my other blog:

NumenOn the Water

That's my Open Diary of my modest fishing exploits.  Not much has happened yet in 2015, but there's some recent ice fishing content, too.  There's always a chance something truly noteworthy might happen in 2015!  Enjoy!

P.S.  I was foolish enough (or motivated enough?) to go again, a few days later.  I was armed with the knowledge that conditions certainly had not improved, and there’d likely be few, if any fish, available at my spot.  I merely confirmed those suspicions; I didn’t get touched in an hour of fishing in deteriorating conditions.  I could have found another spot, more protected from the wind, or more likely to hold fish; but that seemed like too much work. 


I don’t always choose to sucker fish; but when I do, I like it to be pleasant.

No comments:

Post a Comment