Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Gulf Stream


The Gulf Stream

This has to be a short entry, because I’m no expert on The Gulf Stream.  I’ve only spent a few days out there, but from what I’ve experienced, it might represent my special wilderness.  I’m fully alive out there.  Driven by global-scale planetary energy balances, timeless, tireless  and seemingly endless, virtually untouched by humans (except for fish-concentrating detritus!), the Gulf Stream’s clear, pure  purple water is accompanied by a stiff easterly breeze on the best days, delivering possibly the cleanest air in North America.  No wonder it’s so invigorating!

Gulf Stream, January 2010.  Clean air, clean water, Fish On!

And then there are the fish.  Flying fish are simply cool.  To me eye, they’re more bug or bird than fish, because I see them in flight.  They’re fun to watch, fascinating to contemplate, and their appearance means predators below!  I’ve not had any encounters with tuna yet, but those predators could also be (among others), dolphin fish (mahi), king mackerel, or sailfish.  The kings have provided most of my action; they’re sizeable, speedy and flashy, and they’ve provided a few awesomely explosive surface hits on free lines and kite baits.  But between their impressive dentiture and with big-eyed scad going for $8 or $10 a piece, so far they’ve been mostly an expensive distraction.  I’ve gotten just enough taste of mahi (literally) to know that I’m not done with them.  They’ve been largely absent or hit-and-miss in my limited time, and so I know I haven’t gotten my chance to fully appreciate them, yet.  Regardless, unless I’m down to my very last bait in a sailfish tournament, kings and mahi are welcome to crash my spread, anytime.

Kite-crashing King

And then there are the sailfish, the primary target of most of my offshore sessions.  Sailfish might be my perfect game fish.  Sails are large surface feeders that can be matched to fairly light tackle of your choice.  They’re seasonably abundant, and not too far offshore of Florida’s Treasure Coast.  Sails are uniquely beautiful, and they provide an aerial fight combined with astonishing speed and power.  Finally, they’re very releasable.   Other than for the issue of accessibility, what could be better?  Perhaps a marlin, simply based on size, but when does the balance of the experience tip away from fun, and toward work?

Grey-hounding sailfish on light spinning gear - off the kite!

First sailfish release

My pursuit of sailfish seems realistic (if only very occasional).  I’d love to take Numenon to Palm Beach and give it a try some winter.  Common sense, time and money all indicate that this probably won’t happen, but I think she deserves a shot at a fish as long as her transom.  I know I’ve got many of the bases covered between my sets of striper and salmon gear.  I can see which rod and reel combos would go where, different variations of home-made teasers running off one downrigger, live baits in the Bait Saver flow-through bait well.  I even know what Numenon feels like at an 8-knot troll with chuggers, because I’ve practiced on Whitefish Lake.  I’m ready.  She’s ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment