Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Omnihilism


Omnihilism

Something that has been on my mind lately is my concept of “Everynothing”.  This concept touches various aspects of my life, from work through fishing, and I’m struggling with my position with respect to Omnihilism.  I hate it; I respect it.  I don’t know if I’m a devotee to this concept; or a warrior against it.

One beautiful morning this May, I launched Numenon in Muskegon.  I was by myself, and weather conditions had been a bit unsettled; I didn’t really know what conditions to expect.  I had 21 rods rigged and ready, with others in reserve, and I had lofty goals for the day.  I was going to do it all.  Specifically, after securing a legal DNR limit of Great Lakes trout and salmon, I’d continue fishing for early season catch and release bass, with the goal of momentarily capturing an emulated DNR “limit” of bass.  Five hard-fighting silver fish, and five bass over 14 inches, all in the same day, with one launch of the boat.  What could be better?  What could be a grander celebration of Spring and the various opportunities she affords us here in Michigan?

The fishing got off to a splendid start, and I quickly caught and released my first salmon of the day.  (Because most spring salmon are eminently releasable, and because of my need for space for gear, and for a clear front deck while bass fishing later, there was no cooler.  I planned to release all Great Lakes fish this day, unless they were badly damaged during the fight.  To  minimize damage to the fish and to save some more space, I also chose not to net any fish this day.)  Decent fishing continued, and when I was 1 for 3 by 8 AM, having lost a couple of dandy fish (no netting today!),  I was still pretty confident in my chances for securing my Great Lakes limit for the day in a timely fashion.  But no net means more lost fish, and when I experienced a case of rubber hooks, compounded by a rare broken split ring on perhaps the largest Great Lakes fish of the year; at 10:30 AM or so I was starting to feel the pressure of my goals.

Deep Water, Blue Dolphin, Bright Fish

Broken split rings just don't happen on my boat!

At Noon, I pulled the plug, having gone “4-for-8”, one fish short of my goal but still pleased with my effort.  I’d had my chances, after all, and I was looking forward to some easy pre-spawn, shallow water bassin.’  By 12:30 PM, I was in place, and my chosen spot was loaded with the biggest congregation of visible, pre-spawn largemouth bass that I’ve ever encountered on Muskegon Lake.  But after an hour or more I realized that I could NOT get them to bite, and with a quick relocation and set of experimental casts, I realized I’d be better off (and more productive) by blind-casting likely areas.  So with two legal-sized largemouths in 20 minutes, I was once again feeling confident that I’d reach one of my goals for the day.  But then Mother Nature intervened and she started blowing; I pretty much lost my ability to control the boat or my baits where I knew there were fish; and an hour later, I knew it wasn’t meant to be, not this day.

Smallish keeper largemouth

So I came off the water, having achieved neither of my goals.  In fact, I didn’t even have any food fish, since I’d chosen to not bring the cooler.  In a sense, I’d achieved nothing, and had nothing to show for my intensive efforts.  And yet, I think if I adopt this way of thinking, I’m a victim of Omnihilism.  For surely there’s something to be had from these ideas, efforts and experiences, and I don’t want to fall into a manner of thinking where I can’t appreciate the boat, the setting, the opportunity, or the physical grace and beauty of the fish I’d encountered.

Imagine my surprise while I was ruminating these concepts when Jon Stewart summarized a portion of the 2012 Presidential Republican Convention with the simple phrase “Everynothing!”  Why not promise everything with nothing behind the promise?

I’ve been battling “Everynothing” at work for a decade or more.  We all recognize that resources are scarce, and we’re used to doing more with less.  In fact, we’re seemingly doing more, better and faster, with less.  And yet, if we’ve already done it, why not do it again?  Why not do it even better, faster, with even less?  Perhaps we’re achieving what was once thought to be inconceivable or impossible.  And yet, in our efforts, I can’t help but feel that we’re missing something of importance.  When you’re too busy doing something to analyze how or why you’re doing it, there’s a reason for pause; and yet when you’re that busy, you’re not likely to avail yourself to that opportunity.  You might not realize that your efforts could be misdirected, or that you’re in the position of possibly accomplishing nothing.

So we keep on going, adapting to circumstances and yet stressed, bent and disfigured.  We might convince ourselves that we’re thriving and progressing because we’re not broken.  But is bending somehow worse than breaking?  General Robert E. Lee had a bit of a riding mishap during the 2nd Battle of Bull Run, and Jeff Shaara reports in “Gods and Generals” that General Lee broke one hand and sprained the other.  General Lee himself wondered aloud how the pain of the sprain could exceed that of the break.  I can report myself that the sprains have tormented me longer than the broken bones, and they’re the injuries that are likely to persist and re-occur.  But let’s face it; it’s human nature to fix or consciously abandon something that’s broken; but to patch up, prop up, adapt to or otherwise accommodate something that still seems to be serviceable.  A break gets the attention, the cred.  Maybe breaking is a relatively good thing, because it might force the issue of a rational assessment of the situation and confrontation with the future, instead of just going along with the tide.

So maybe trying to have it all, to accomodate everybody's interests, or to just plain Live Large has it's drawbacks.  And yet I can’t get away from the simple beauty and intrinsic value of the idea of a quest itself.  Surely any Grand Vision associated with any venture guides events to fruition.   Surely one’s better off for having attempted the quest.  And the motivational force of the goals of the quest must have value, and at the least, getting back to the original May event, I’m better off for having encountered each of the fish of the day.  This should probably be more about the process than the stark reality of the results.  But when results seem to mean everything (such as in our everyday life), does the process mean anything?  Can we even allow ourselves to think this way?

Shith, this essay has kind of become an example of “Everynothing” itself.  A whole bunch of ideas and effort, but perhaps not much impact.

Regardless, I’ll be back in Muskegon this fall.  I can’t help but imagine the day with a limit or two of vertically jigged morning walleyes, accompanied by a limit or two of silvery steelies and salmon.  I could probably get by with only 10 rods; I’ll have room for the cooler, maybe even for a buddy with which to share the day!

Fall Silver

Muskegon Walleyes

No comments:

Post a Comment