Sunday, October 28, 2012

Silhouettes

How many big bass can a guy lose in a season?  And why does each large lost bass take the time to pose, briefly yet clearly, for the angler to see what's getting away?  And why does that silhouette burn its way deep into one's memory?

Earlier this season, Katie spent a full day of bass fishing with me. We were both under the tutelage of a local guide, and Katie was doing pretty well on topwaters and jerk baits, even though it was the first time she'd ever explicitly targeted bass.  While she was doing OK, I was getting much more action, and larger bass to boot, while slowly fishing black rubber worms.  After I caught what would prove to be the largest bass of the day, she decided to try worming, too.

In short order, she got bit.  I'm not sure either she or the bass knew they were connected at first, but when it became apparent to both me and the guide that she had a fish on, we were all paying attention.  The bass came to the surface right beside the boat, jumped and flared, giving all three of us a perfect view; and calmly threw the hook.  We all were in shock at the size of the bass we'd just seen; but she was gone, and there was little to do other than continue on.  Katie redeemed herself shortly there-after with a solid 3-pounder, but I think we'd all agree that the even more solid 5-pounder we'd just seen was the Fish of the Day.

From the web - but if this guy showed a little more tail, it would be a ringer for Katie's lost bass.

But how many times can this same scene be repeated?  I've a spot on a local lake that doesn't yield a lot of bass; but the bass I encounter are always large; all 4-to-6 pounders so far.  So of course I visit this location, at least briefly, during every bass expedition on this lake.  Shortly after my trip with Katie, I was just about to leave this spot, empty-handed, so to speak, when I made a long cast and then felt a slight "tap" on a slow-rolled chatterbait.  I swung and came tight, briefly, only to have to race to keep a tight line.  I caught up with the bass at about the time she broke the surface.  She was definitely my biggest of the season, and we went through the required choreography: present broad side; flare gills; (I swear, make eye contact!); tail walk; nod head; throw hook.

From the web.

And it's not just largemouths.  On my first trip this fall to my stretch of "rediscovered" Grand River, at just about the time I was ready to write off the trip, I caught a real nice smallie.  A few casts later, I set the hook and a much nicer smallie literally went ballistic and launched herself above eye-level.  She was perfectly back-lit, perfectly silhouetted, definitely the bass of the day, and probably the smallie of the year.  Of course, she returned to the water's surface unhooked, having tossed my senko aside during her flight.  But that's OK; she's the reason I went back the next day, only to lose a similar-sized largemouth in much the same manner.
From the web - based on the style of art, it looks like this has been taking place for quite a while!
So how many big bass can a guy lose in a season?  Unless I'm in a tournament, I guess I don't care.  So long as I occasionally bring one to hand, "As many others as possible!", I propose, would be the best answer.  These are powerful fish, the ones that keep me coming back for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment