Wednesday, October 10, 2012

In Appreciation of Local Waters


In Appreciation of Reeds Lake and other local waters

Reeds Lake is Kent County, Michigan’s largest body of water, and I live just a few hundred yards away.  It’s got a beautiful public boat ramp, but the parking situation is typically horrendous.  It’s “The Jewel of East Grand Rapids”, but it’s still an urban lake; and it gets pounded!  From shore, from boats, through the ice, tournament bassing, catch and release, catch and keep; amidst the water skiers, wake boarders, pontooners, kayakers, and paddle boarders; it gets fished hard. 

And while I largely avoided the lake for many years based on launching logistics, crowds and aesthetics, in recent years I’ve grown to truly appreciate this lake.  If you pick your time wisely, launching and parking aren’t so bad; it’s quick and super convenient, being so close; it’s largely “weather-proof” in that it remains fishable except in the worst conditions (in which case it’s no big deal to just skip the trip or go home).  It provides multi-species opportunities over the course of the year, and sometimes I just like to capitalize on the “easy fishing” at hand.  Finally, it provides a “Safe Harbor” for sharing the fishing with others or for exploring new techniques. 

Spring panfishing means lots of action, even for kids!

But perhaps most importantly, Reeds keeps kicking out the fish, including quality fish.  In fact, it’s on a very short list of waters (for me) that have yielded both a 6-pound bass and a 10-pound pike.  Given the opportunity, I’ll fish all day for a chance at either of those fish, so I always feel like it’s worth the effort out there; I know that a very nice fish is always possible.  I like Reeds enough that I told a friend, whose dream it was to own a house on this lake, “You buy the house, and I’ll buy the boat.”  I’d gladly share a boat in exchange for quicker and easier access to the lake and its fishing.

Quality bassin...
...or quality pike.  Your choice!



I’m somewhat disappointed in myself for having reached these conclusions over such a long time period.  I missed out on a lot of launches and fish over the years by overlooking this lake.  I’m reminded of this when I reflect on my “personal discovery” of the Grand River this month for quality bass.  What have I missed over the years?

Well, I can’t say for sure, but I’m sure I’ve not experienced some situations that would have made fine memories.  Beyond that, I just have to remember that I was busy making those elsewhere, and so I’m willing to call it a draw.  A trip to Reeds may lack the glamour and excitement of a trip to Lake Michigan, a drowned river-mouth lake, or Northern Michigan’s big inland trout and smallmouth waters; but it sure is a lot easier, cheaper, and more likely to happen.  I simply have to remember to paraphrase Stephen Stills; “If you can’t fish on the lake you love… love the one you fish!”  I promise, I love Reeds Lake.

Not giant, but big enough; a beautiful top predator.

No comments:

Post a Comment