Sunday, August 26, 2012

Sea-Sick!


Sea-Sick!

Let me be clear; anybody can get sea-sick at any time, on any vessel, under any conditions.  Becoming a victim of sea-sickness is not an indication of one’s relative manhood, regardless of what your fishing partners might say.

As a teenager and young man I took several voyages on Block Island head boats, targeting night-time bluefish in the dark.  These were exotic trips for me at the time, and the bluefish were big and burley.  The trips were supposed to be about fun, but on occasion, these adventures turned into personal Living Hells.  I mean End-it-All Living Hells.

Of course I’d consistently done everything wrong.  Reliable marine forecasts were unavailable or inaccurate at the time.  If it wasn’t raining, and the opportunity was there, you went!  Why bother driving by the beach to assess conditions?  If it was fishable, the boat would leave port, and if the boat left port, you should be on it!  Why not sit in the cabin and grab a burger or Italian Meatball sandwich?  Be sure to sit near the engine exhaust, too!

Yes, it is possible to get violently sea-sick before the boat has broken through the pier head.  It’s possible to puke 23 times in a night, all the while being incapable of actually fishing.  It’s possible that the boat’s policy is to keep fishing at the Captain’s discretion, as long as anybody is having fun and catching fish.  It’s possible that the one guy who’s drunk out of his mind is oblivious to sea-sickness, and that he’s also some sort of bluefish whisperer that can pound them when everybody else has given up.  It’s further possible that I can be stupid enough to have redeemed my “half off” coupon, generously provided by the boat after this miserable trip, for another trip of similar misery.  Hey, why not consider leaving a couple of fine spinning reels behind while you hastily disembark to terra firma?

And so I have a healthy respect for sea-sickness.  I should probably more accurately state that I fear sea-sickness.  And yet I love to fish, so I’ve had to learn how to manage this issue.  First, Dramamine and Practice!  I think you do find your sea legs with practice and experience, and I’m consoled by the presence of D in my system.  Second, I want to control my destiny for the day, and I’m reluctant to board a boat under questionable conditions when the call to pull the plug is somebody else’s responsibility.  I don’t go on too many head boats anymore.

Acquiring this experience has taken time, and I’ve had my moments.  I literally christened one friend’s boat “The Puke Barge”, and I was quite proud of my “Sick Before Six” AM reputation among my fishing partners.  Still, it’s much less of an issue for me than it used to be, and I’m very thankful for that.
At 17 feet, Numenon becomes uncomfortable before she’s unsafe in Lake Michigan’s short, choppy seas.  Since I fish mostly for fun (tournaments are another story), I can choose when to get off the water.   The window for sea-sickness on my boat is therefore pretty small, but it still occasionally catches me or my passengers.  Of course, my passengers are never actually sea-sick.  Their condition is always attributed to a bad breakfast, too much coffee on a sour stomach, or simply a bug.  A mild breakfast of cheerios, bananas and yogurt goes some way towards ameliorating the wretchedness of being physically sea-sick (regardless of cause.)

I once had a partner suffer through a long tournament day.  He was happy to get to shore and walk our fish through the weigh-in process while I had the privilege of cleaning the boat.  This was not especially pleasant.  That’s a matter of perspective, though, because my other partner for the day (who was cashing in my coupons for tournament t-shirts and burgers at the time) delights in this situation.  The three of us probably couldn’t reconstruct our catch for the day, but we sure remember the experience.

Anyway, sea-sickness is part of my life, and probably for any boater.  All I can recommend is:
  • Practice; get out there and you’ll probably find your sea legs, if you want to.  Stay outside, concentrate on the horizon, and try to avoid exhaust fumes, close hand-work, etc.
  • Preparedness; take advantage of available forecasts, D and other remedies, and be aware of conditions.
  • Acceptance; it happens.  With practice and preparedness, you can try to minimize its frequency and intensity.
  • Compassion; even if it’s one of your tournament partners, know that they’re suffering.  Be nice.  If they choose to give you the gift of staying out and you have a good tournament day or happen to catch a sailfish, be thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment