Saturday, December 16, 2017

Thoughts on Costa Rica


Between Nicaragua and Panama lies Costa Rica - from the web!

In many ways, I've been thinking about Costa Rica since October of 1980.  A high school senior at the time, I really had no idea where I wanted to go to college.  That changed when I attended a Dartmouth Alumni Club of Rhode Island function as a prospective applicant.  I probably thought I had better things to do that evening, but my Mom made me go.  The guest speaker was a student fresh from her study abroad.  She'd gone to Costa Rica as part of Dartmouth's Biology Department offerings.  Within minutes, I knew where I wanted to go to college; and as it turned out, I did!

I participated in the same academic trip as a last-term college senior.  I was in Costa Rica for seven or eight weeks, and it was glorious.  I was especially drawn to the Corcovado National Park area in southwest Costa Rica; it was a version of Eden.  Tropical forest, clear flowing, free-flowing rivers, and the ocean; tapirs, jaguars, snappers and sharks.  It was beautiful!  There was virtually no development or economic opportunity in the region at the time, and I had a fiancee and family back in the States.  But I left Costa Rica with a serious determination to get back!

My better half had also visited Costa Rica during her college experience, and we decided that we would go back.  I deferred on an opportunity to study there as a graduate student; I knew I'd return.  But our tenth, twentieth, twenty-fifth and thirtieth anniversaries all passed without our having done so.

Meanwhile, we'd been thinking about a family trip this January.  The kids are independent and their schedules will only get fuller.  This could be the time to do something so grand.  We thought about it a little more, and started doing some investigating.  I had some thoughts and predilections and followed through with some pointed research.  We narrowed down our list of preferences and sent off some inquiries.  My folks of choice came through with an appointment for a Friday evening telephone conversation.

After that comfortable exchange, I spent the next day by myself, working my butt off in an effort to get a Lake St. Clair pike or muskie to hit one of my baits.  I had a lot of time to think.  At some point during the day, I concluded that we had to go!

The very next day we purchased our airline tickets, and by the middle of the week, considerable funds had been wired to Costa Rica.  This was now real!


***

It's a family vacation, but of course my stipulation was that I'd be able to fish, and to fish hard and under fair circumstances.  That is, a roll of the dice and a single day of enjoyment wouldn't cut it;  after waiting this long and investing this much into the trip, I wanted to give the area a legitimate chance to show what it has to offer.  And, very fortunately, my family understands this.  

So, I have now arranged for four days of fishing during our stay, and our hosts appear to offer the highest degree of flexibility with those four days of opportunity.  Just based on availability, one day will be on a smaller (but still 24-foot), "inshore" bay boat.  One of the signature species of the region is the rooster fish; I'll be happy to spend a day in their pursuit.  I've caught a bunch of jacks, and they all pull.  But I'll be especially happy to chase roosters, since I've learned that they will hit topwater plugs and jump!  Other inshore species here include a variety of snappers to very large sizes, and I understand that blue water and pelagic species are within reach of this boat, under the prevailing conditions of any given day.  Plus, it will be warm!  In January!  This sounds like a winter's day with lots of good potential!



Rooster fish - from the web!

The other three days will be on a 27-foot center console.  (Can one think, Dream Boat?  One is tempted to do so.)  This boat offers both inshore and offshore options.  Our first day on board will be a family trip (all four of us.)  Having spoken with the captain, I am comfortable that he appreciates flexibility and diversity of experience.  As the first of multiple days that we'll be together, I trust that he'll want to provide a good experience for all on board.  I'll have no prejudices for any particular fish or fishing style this day; I will defer to Captain's Choice for our experience this day.

The remaining two days will be mine to do with what I please.  Some subset of the family may join me; but they may not.  Of course, weather permitting, I have to devote a day to offshore pursuits.  That blue water is my element, and I rarely have access.  Sails and dorado should be available; yellowfin tuna are a distinct possibility.  Of course, it's a big ocean and big predators come and go, so nothing is certain.  It is fishing, after all.  But I'd imagine that other tunas (blackfins? bonito?  little tunnies?) should be available, too, and to date, my biggest tuna might weigh two pounds.  (It pulled like hell, by the way.)  The folks in New England are crazy about their funny fish.  I'd not want to pass up a chance to throw some tins at, or troll up on light tackle, any of these fish, should they appear.  I know the captain drops speed jigs to the depths, too; I'm up for it!  Anything hits these; anything might be possible.


Sailfish - from the web!



Dorado - from the web!


That will leave a final day; I'd like to hope that the captain's idea for the day corresponds to What did I enjoy the most? or What do I need more of?  We'll see!


Cubera - from the web!

Rainbow runner - from the web!


Yellowfin tuna - from the web!

Regardless, I don't want to get too far ahead of myself.  I've learned from previous travels that if one gets too set in what one wants, and the prevailing conditions just don't support the successful outcome for that desire, one can be disappointed.  Worse, one can overlook (and miss out on) the superior options that might have presented themselves for the day.   At the very least, it will all be new, warm salt-water adventure!  And, I'll be "On A Boat!" With my family!   I know I'm overlooking all the other experiences that we'll share on this trip.  But for now, I'll admit that anticipating the fishing alone is enough for me.


***

Part of that anticipation is getting a simple tackle selection ready for some potential shore fishing.  We're trying to minimize luggage, and I've only a single travel rod available at this time.  But this casting rod fishes nicely, has subdued various double-digit stripers and can throw a two-ounce (or heavier) lure.  Paired with my Diawa Lexa 300 muskie reel and 20-pound braid, I think I'll be able to cast a good distance.  This tackle will be light enough that any fish (small jack, runner, ladyfish, etc.) will be fun, but still give me a chance at landing any respectable inshore fish.  I hope to find out.


Blue runner - usually bait, but still fun to catch!  From the web!
Jack Crevalle - from tiny to large; always tough.  From the web!

As far as lures, I am expecting light surf and open, sandy conditions.  Spoons, jigs and soft plastic stick baits all came immediately to mind, but Long Island "tins" and Hogy epoxy jigs have been added to cover sand-eel and topwater presentations, too.  I intend to keep this tackle selection simple and minimized; let's hope I make the right decisions.  When I throw in some 25-40 pound fluorocarbon leader, some Tactical Angler connecting clips, some pliers and a pair of cutters, I think I'll be all set!


Snook - from the web!  You can see how sharp their operculum cover is; I've learned from bad experience to use a heavier leader than "normal".
***

This stuff was fun to acquire for the trip, but it's even more fun to think that these will all serve me well later in 2018.  Whether it's in some sandy surf in Maine for stripers, from the Cape Cod shoreline for fall funny fish or somewhere else north of New Jersey, this stuff is going to work!


From a few degrees North Latitude to over 40, I have high hopes for this in 2018.
***

What better reason to go to the eye doctor than to get a fresh prescription for offshore tropical sunglasses?  Of course, I have existing daily vision needs, and with my new 100% office job, I know I'd benefit from a set of computer glasses.  But it was the prospect of replacing my old and tired fishing specs that really got me to the doctor.  While I had some ideas about really cool, blue lenses, I finally decided some glasses with better coverage but dark amber lenses would make the most sense, overall.  (The blue did not fare well in the gray, flat Michigan lighting to which I am exposed so much.)  So, I tried to be cool; but function prevails over form for me, once again!

What will I see?

***

I am, admittedly, a sucker.  I accept that; but it's for a good cause, and this just adds to my fun.  I just joined the International Game Fish Association (IGFA); many of the pics in this post are from their collection.  Anyway, it came to my attention that one had to be a member to participate in their annual fishing contest.  With 74 species on the line and this trip planned, what better year for me to enter?  Plus, as a member, I can get a discounted burial at sea!  So the $40 was really a gift to my family, should 2018 not treat me so nicely!  And if things don't go so badly, every time a new species hits the deck, I can at least think about this competition. I'll only need to win one of their trips of a lifetime to be really happy!


Northern Redhorse Sucker - from the web!

***

So, obviously, many of my thoughts and the Season's bounty received to date have been in preparation for the trip.  Not just for me, but for the rest of the family, too.  Rest assured, though, that I've not lost track of the Season's true meanings.  Our time together is gift enough; anything uniquely good that we happen to share along the way is purely bonus.  And if you've seen this, I wish you Peace; I wish you Well.

No comments:

Post a Comment