Tuesday, December 5, 2017

New in 2017




I'd just like to quickly acknowledge some of the new stuff, tactics and experiences that I enjoyed in 2017.  The breadth of this "newness" isn't all that astonishing, but I think the depth to which I pursued/employed some of these things/experiences/concepts was new, in and of itself.  Once gain, my 2017 Fishing exceeded my expectations in many ways.  "New" stuff, locations and techniques certainly enhanced my experiences and appreciation.


Lures

My Christmas 2016 stocking contained a couple of Duo Realis spy-baits.  I'd specifically requested these, thinking about Lake St. Clair smallmouths.  But when my first, early-March trolling session for pike was not producing as I'd hoped, and a jerk-biting bass had already revealed itself over Reeds Lake's shallow weeds in the very cold water, I picked up my spy-baiting rig for the first time.   Within the first few casts, I got hit, and hit hard!  I missed this fish, but not too much later, I somehow hooked and landed a very light-hitting, heavy pre-spawn bass.  It was a great confidence builder for me with these lures, and they produced nicely for me in some tough, cold-weather conditions.  I've still got a lot to learn with them, but they've earned a permanent spot in my boat.

The Duo Realis spy-bait (top, in perch color) was a reliable producer in tough, clear cold-water conditions.
Shallow, pre-spawn pike love to eat spy-baits.  It's difficult to choose to throw an expensive lure on light line with no leader, but I caught many pike without ever getting bitten off!

Everybody east of Lansing seems to be crazy about walleyes.  Having caught a few on tube baits while targeting pre-spawn bass on Lake St. Clair, I decided to add some crawler harnesses and Gulp! baits to Numenon's storage areas.  I decided to deploy these a few times over the course of the season.  It usually turned a slow day into an enjoyable experience.  I'll have to admit, a Mack's Smiley Blade seemed to outproduce traditional spinners, and is super easy to deploy.  

All this stuff earned a near-permanent place aboard Numenon.  For some reason, the combo on the bottom featuring the green Mack's Smiley Blade was a killer!

I broke down during the late summer, and with St. Clair's Big Rubber Season approaching, purchased some Swedish Pig Shads from https://www.kanalgratis.se/en/.  My biggest regret for the season is that I did not parlay these into a big Esox photo opportunity.  If that's the worst part of the season, I've got no real gripes!  And I did have a strike, a few follows, and faith in the potential of these subtle swimmers.  Maybe 2018 will provide that photo.


Presentations

My season began with some three-way rig-trolling for pike.  This isn't exactly a new technique, but I rarely use it, and we did catch the targeted species on our first trip of 2017.  The hardware and sinkers are now always in the boat!

This old-school, bottom-tapping combo caught the first fish of 2017.

I wish I had more to say about The Technique of Silent Capture.  I probably said enough about it, above; spy-baits are the real deal!  I look forward to expanding my experience with spy-baits, especially in tough conditions, in 2018 and beyond.  With no closed season for pike on Lake St. Clair, I might choose to chase them there early in 2018.

I found out that I also enjoy fishing Blade Baits in cold water.   This technique paid off handsomely with a couple of nice fish on tough days.  Again, this isn't exactly new to me; but developing some confidence and site-specific knowledge with them, is.  They are always in the boat with me, and I suspect that if I can find some early-season smallmouths on Lake St. Clair (i.e., before the jerk-bait bite and general shallow-water invasion), these could be the ticket to a pile of nice fish.

My last nice bass of 2017 ate a blade bait in over 30 feet of water.

In 2016, I taught myself to successfully fish lipless crank-baits in cold water by using a Carolina-style retrieve; just a slow pull with the rod followed by picking up the slack.  This forced me to slow down and keep the bait (Berkley War-Pig) on or near the bottom, just like the venerable Carolina Rig.  I felt every tick, bump and strike; and caught some awesome largemouths!  In 2017, I extended this to Carolina Cranking, retrieving crank-baits in cold water in the same manner.  It paid off immediately and repeatedly!  This strategy fully plugged a hole in my repertoire between jerking and lipless cranking.  It filled lots of other holes, too, over the course of the season.

You can learn a lot from fish like this!




Locations

I saw a lot more of Lake St. Clair and her moods.  There's a lot more to see.  She's been tougher to crack than I expected, but I have had more than enough success to realize her potential.  And, perhaps more importantly, I have faith that this potential can be realized on any given cast; especially the next one!  

Lake St. Clair seduction

I have fished Benzie County's Crystal Lake for decades, but just about always for trout.  And usually then, as a backup for other dreams based on typical weather conditions.  But I've known about her big bass for years, and have even caught a few while trout fishing.  I hit Crystal Lake specifically for smallmouths in early June.  I think we were just a tad too late for the best fishing; but we still had some very fine fishing.  I've got a tons of waypoints; it's just a matter of going back! 

Good buddy BL with his largest smallmouth from our trip to Crystal Lake.  An annual trip Up North with BL in search of brown bass is another burgeoning tradition, cemented in 2017.

I fished Michigan's Torch-Clam-Bellaire Chain of Lakes for the first time in September, 2017.  Of course, I'd been aware of them and their potential for decades, and I even used to fish Intermediate Lake (connected, and just upstream) pretty hard.  The fishing on my "new" chain wasn't easy; but my average smallmouth was awesome, I lost a giant, and I also caught a targeted muskie and some pike.  As a bonus, Lake Bellaire (admittedly, probably my favorite of the three) is very close to BL's deer camp.  Hmmmm...

Lake Bellaire
Coming "home" on Clam Lake
Torch Lake is aptly named.

I'd also like to recognize the Huron River Metropark System; nice, reliable facilities on a variety of lakes, all seemingly well-maintained.  Worth the annual fee, in my book.


Other

I guess I should note that my 2017 Physical Re-location provided a basis for many of these new experiences.  The work days are longer, but our new home is our haven; plus, there are so many new waters within a day's reach.

Is there anything more restful than watching whitetail fawns from your living room?


I already mentioned an Annual Spring Trip with BL for up-north bass.  He's netted many fine bass bass for me; I'd love to return the favor.  Repeatedly.  We'll see which lakes we choose in 2018, but we will have our choice!

When it is cold and/or miserable outside, why not enjoy a Hot Lunch, Kanalgratis-Style?  I've often been too busy fishing to even think about eating, but I learned this year to occasionally slow down, eat and warm up.  Hot dogs, tinned spaghetti, Dinty Moore or similar; the calories will keep you going!

Inaugural 2017 Hot Lunch aboard Numenon
Hot Dog Selfie at Sea


A gifted me with a Berkley Surf Wagon for my late summer birthday.  While most locals proclaimed it to be fabulous and cool, they may have been just being kind to my dotardly ways.  Regardless, it sure made hauling a variety of gear up and down the hill a lot easier!

Berkley Surf Wagon

My new work schedule introduced Flex Days in 2017; a weekday off every two weeks!  I converted some of these into some fine fish, and even more of them into fine days fishing.  My Flex Experiences were elevated when I received a Pup Tent for Fathers' Day.  I kind of ran out of Summer to use it too much in 2017, but this simple gift will be put to good use for the remainder of my career, I am willing to bet.


Beautiful Flex Day; Beautiful Pike
Now have Pup Tent; willing to travel!



No comments:

Post a Comment