Thursday, June 19, 2014

Festival! Festival!

"Here for the Festival, are you, Friend?"

So asks a rather creepy citizen (IMHO) of a strange planet (IMHO) in a rather cheesey episode (IMHO) of a cheesey sci-fi show (IMHO) from the 1960's.  But at least he was SO creepy and SO cheesey that he somehow stayed with me; and now I get to celebrate the coming of his Red Hour every year (sans debauchery), because I live in Grand Rapids!


Bilar from Beta III!  And the Web!

So let it be heard, across time and across the universe; "Festival!  Festival!"  Because Grand Rapids is home to the Festival of the Arts every June.

While "Festival!" was a welcomed addition to the calendar when the kids were young, at this point I'd just as soon avoid the crowds.  But this year's Festival was unique because it coincided with the Gathering of the Gars!  Longnose Gar, unworldly fish, are prominent June spawners here in West Michigan, but this year the Grand River was packed with the largest aggregation of spawning gar I've ever witnessed.


One hole, dozens of gar.

Actively spawning gar.

They were neat to see and fun to watch.  I'm sure the channel cats, fresh off their own spawning activities, were chowing down on their eggs, and I'm certain to be looking for the gar next year.  Maybe I'll be ready with a nylon rope fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment