Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Falling off that Ladder


Remember that ladder I wrote about in September 2012?  The “Judgment to Value” Ladder?  Historical and ongoing interactions with a couple of folks had convinced me that I needed that ladder, and I thought I had gotten myself a good one.  I thought I was using it properly and successfully.    Well, I’ve fallen off that ladder.  Maybe I slipped, or maybe I was pushed off, but regardless, I suffered a hard landing.

After the shock of the experience wore off, I was able to conduct an inventory; and I believe I’ve incurred only bruising and that nothing’s permanently broken.  I’m better off than a former co-worker who once literally fell off a roof while wearing steel-toed boots; while he landed on his feet, when he toppled from his momentum, he basically cut off all his toes.

My recovery should be much quicker; and I feel that I’m prepared to climb back up.  I’ve got the necessary skills, and I’ve found a certain peace in finding and appreciating the occasional good that everyone offers.

If you can’t expect to fool all the people all of the time, I guess I can’t expect to actively value everybody 24/7.  At least now I don’t need to hold a grudge, place anybody in a permanent box, or let the actions of others control my feelings.  I’ve got more important things to tend to.

No comments:

Post a Comment