Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Rappin’ and Leadership*


One of the things I do best at my primary work is seasonal, educational outreach for the efficient implementation of a specific data collection program.  This program has been an integral part of my “career”, and I know I can unabashedly and indisputably claim to be “The World’s Foremost Provider” for this particular endeavor.

This outreach effort requires a bit of concentrated state-wide travel, and as I recently prepared to embark on my first trip of this season, I grabbed some music CDs for the truck.   Early into the trip, I was reminded about (awakened to?) the power and genius of (insert the hip/hop rap star of your choice; but I’m referencing a particular artist.)

I’ve never been a huge fan, and I suspect that we are different types of guys, from two worlds apart.  At the very least, I’ve had a strong Father Figure in my life, and I’m sure I’ve had other advantages (if only stability!) along the way.  I’m not angry, nor do I have reason to be.  But the guy is a Gifted Wordsmith; and he has been (and might be, again) at the pinnacle of his craft.  Who am I to discredit that gift through dismissive contempt, simple unawareness or naked oblivion?  He’s truly got a rare and unique talent.  No doubt.  He has been a good companion for most of my work-related travels, and he laid down the beat for my personal, silent sound-track which has been playing on “loop mode” for most of my recent conscious hours.

About 30 years ago, at a sort of leadership training symposium for a position I held in college, I was introduced to, but chose to quickly dismiss, rap as legitimate art.  This introduction was from perhaps “The World’s Foremost Student and Legitimate Professor of Rap” at the time.   To add salt to my wounds, I’ll also admit to dismissing aerobics as actual, worthwhile exercise on the same day.  After all, where were the horns, melodies, weights and bulky muscles?

Well, time has shown that I was simply wrong on both counts. 

I don’t mind being wrong (after all, I’ve enjoyed plenty of music and exercise, mostly without rap and aerobics in the last thirty years), but I now know I should not necessarily be quite so quick to form an opinion, close the door, or feel comfortably smug about my presumed correctness.

So; “Cheers!” to Champions of Diversity and to other Voices, Crying out in the Wilderness!  At the very least, these folks make things interesting; and to their credit, they can be a source of new ideas, tools and perspectives, any of which one might choose to adopt for one’s comfort, effectiveness, sanity or betterment.  And one never knows, who might be That Voice for oneself?



*Please keep in mind that this entry could easily have to do with the use of Rattlin’ Raps for impressive catches of pre-spawn smallies; but that’s another story.

No comments:

Post a Comment