Friday, February 14, 2014

Samuel, Kronk and Southern Richard


As a father, of course I want to impart wisdom to my daughters.  And of course, my daughters are not always likely to listen to me.  Somewhere along the line, I chose to share my thoughts and experiences with my youngest through the voice and character of “Samuel”, who is my embodiment of a wise, old, man.*   Somehow, Samuel could say some things that I couldn’t; and somehow, she could be captivated by Samuel in a way that I couldn’t quite reach.  Our conversations were fun; usually goofy and occasionally of importance; but memorable; and I think I was occasionally getting through to her, in a relaxed and accepted manner.

Several years ago my girls were away at summer camp.  I missed them.  (They’re simply fun to have around, especially in the summer!)  I had the opportunity to communicate with them only through a communal email address.  Whatever I wrote would be seen by many.  The anonymity of another voice was attractive, plus, they probably didn’t need to hear from me or my mundane days.  But another voice from the outside might be welcomed.  All of a sudden Samuel was sending emails.  And so did “Kronk”** and “Southern Richard”.***  A few others have subsequently appeared on these pages.

Each has had something to say, and it has been oddly easier to share thoughts through their voices. This ease may have been aided by the back-pain-reduction narcotics I was on at the time of Samuel’s first appearance, but I’ll still claim responsibility/credit for anything they have shared.  At the very least, The Positive Inquirer within me will recognize the calming effect of simply writing and capturing my thoughts.  I’ve became an active post-card correspondent.  My daughters encouraged me to start this blog.  I feel more connected to those I love; and I have greater appreciation for my daily efforts.

Who’d have thunk any of this?

*Samuel is derived from Old Sam.   Old Sam is actually a fictitious, wily old carp in fictitious Lake Mayberry.  So there is a fishing connection to all this; but that’s a totally different story.

**Kronk is from Disney’s “Emperor’s New Groove”, but also encompasses other characters having been portrayed by Kronk’s voice, Patrick Warburton.


***Southern Richard is simply my amalgam for The Indecisive.

No comments:

Post a Comment