Saturday, September 28, 2013

Cafftive

I’ve been working and playing pretty hard lately, my candle is often burning at both ends, and I’m willing to admit that I am being held hostage by coffee.  I need it.  I seek it.  Its availability can re-arrange my schedule and activities.  I am truly a cafftive of this fiendish beverage.

A subtle undercurrent for both of my recent vacations was the where-abouts of my next cup.  Starbucks is ubiquitous, but in Canada, Tim Horton (“T-Ho”) rules, while Dunkin' Donuts (“Dunk-Doe”) is King in New England.  Here at home, it’s “whatever is available”, and that unfortunately includes the Office Coffee Club.  The fact that I willingly drink that stuff is proof enough of my cafftivity.


I can only take solace in Commander Jack Aubrey’s unusual 19th-century preference for coffee over tea; and the realization that coffee is Big Global Business.  I’m not the only one trapped in a Coffee Club, and I suspect there are worse vices to have.

T-Ho vs. Dunk Doe

3 comments:

  1. And today is international coffee day! See http://blog.23andme.com/news/coffee-tea-and-23andme/ too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all started for me in the jungles of Costa Rice, but was resurrected at your house in California with the K-cups and M's crazy early morning schedule...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Costa Rica", sorry. And I didn't expect genetics graphics for ICD, but thanks!

      Delete