Sunday, February 17, 2013

WWALD?



One of the keys to any fishing success that I might claim is, "Keep the faith!"  Simply stated, staying out there and plugging away (especially when prospects appear to be bleak) can often result in some unexpected or bonus fish.  Remind yourself to "Keep the faith!" when conditions are tough and stay out there!  If something's not working out, don't be shy about changing it up; switch species, locations, or presentation.  Every so often, a hidden pattern emerges that can be enjoyed and profitably mined again in the future.

Now, it seems as though "conditions are tough" quite a bit on my boat, and I've had a lot of practice keeping the faith in my ability to catch a fish or two.  And so an oft-asked question in my boat has become: WWALD?  That is, "What Would Al Lindner Do?"  I think of Mr. Lindner first, because he might be the ultimate multi-species freshwater angler.  But if I'm specifically bass fishing, the question might take the form WWKVDD?, i.e. "What Would Kevin VanDam Do?"; and I suppose I've even asked myself WWTDD? ("What Would ThunderDuck Do?") while I'm Great Lakes salmon fishing.

Once I get past the obvious answers (they'd probably all be fishing elsewhere; why bother with these local lakes and ponds?), I can get down to the business of bolstering my faith.  The first thing I suspect is that none of these folks will tolerate mediocrity; if there's any hint that better fishing is possible, they'll hunt it down.  My job, should I choose to accept it, is to more properly piece together the elements of a successful trip.  Mr. Lindner and friends reminded me long ago that:

F + L + P = S

Fishing success (S) is simply the proper combination of knowing your fish's (F) behavior and where they'll be (L for "location"); and then executing the proper presentation (P) for the situation.

It sounds simple enough, but the components are called variables for a reason; each encompasses an almost unlimited range of possibilities.  So in actuality, it has taken a life-time to accumulate the knowledge, tools and skills I have to manage them.  It's this process that creates the frustration of this fishing endeavor (when things aren't going well), but which also provides for the fun, enjoyment and pride along the way.  It also helps to explain all the "stuff" I've accumulated in my efforts to match the proper tools to each specific situation encountered; that's a losing proposition, for sure, but it is a moment of beauty when all is matched properly.  It's an even more beautiful moment when the match is intended, and not a fortuitous accident.

It's pretty easy to define your fishing success (S) in terms of numbers and sizes of fish caught.  Who can argue that more and bigger isn't better than fewer and smaller?  Consequently, so far I've spent most of my time focusing on my "mastery" over F, L, and P.  But I'm finally getting smart enough to realize that  I've been approaching this equation bass-ackwards.  I have total control of S.  I can define my own notion of what constitutes success.  So if I want to incorporate convenience, fun, peacefulness, or new gear, techniques or waters into the equation, I can.  All these factors, whether tangible or not, can be part of a successful day on the water.  They shouldn't be over-looked, and in fact, it's probably OK to emphasize these aspects every so often.

Acceptance of this makes it easier to "keep the faith" on the water, to realistically recalibrate my expectations of success, and empowers me to keep chipping away at my knowledge and management of the other variables.  I'll never perfect this, but I can try!

So WWALD?  I don't specifically know.  But I've got a notion; and I make my own decisions.  I thank him (and all the others from whom I've learned) for everything he's contributed to my base understanding of F, L and P.  But I now thankfully realize that by keeping my mind open about S, I'm more likely to enjoy myself on the water.  I also realize that this same mindset applies to many other aspects of my life.  I'm pleased to accept this; I'm just a little chagrined that it has taken me so long to embrace this way of thinking.

Not the biggest walleye, but part of a great November day!

No comments:

Post a Comment