Thursday, July 13, 2017

Maine Fun 2017.01

I was fortunate to have shared the week of July 4 with family in Maine.  It was a beautiful week filled with good food, celebrations and fishing.  My fishing approach here is simple; throw spoons for mackerel and provide some bait options for striped bass, but most importantly, be there when the fish are there!  My tackle and techniques have evolved over the course of almost 20 years; I think I've arrived at the proper balance of sport while providing for a chance at catching the largest available stripers.  In most years, I am amazed at how many bass there must be, because I will have a good number of chances while basically standing in a single spot.

This year was no exception.  There were many bass to be caught.  Mackerel were conspicuously absent, and the average bass was smaller than in most years.  I can't control those factors, all I can do is capitalize on the chances that are available.  Hopefully I do so while enjoying and appreciating the setting, scenery and wildlife.

A detailed log of the actual fishing can be found here; with this post, I would simply like to acknowledge the peaceful-yet-celebratory mood/theme of the week.

2017's First Striper!  I am always pleased to make their re-acquaintance!

One can get used to such sunrises.  Venus hangs over Casco Bay at about 4:15 AM, July 2, 2017.

Here I am converting a mackerel head into another nice striper on my first morning of fishing.

K is hooked up to a nice fish!


I brought the net for just such fish!

K's mid-day 28-incher was the biggest of the trip!

A nice evening fish; my largest of the trip.

Striper No. 50 for 2017

The hat says, "Live to Fish" and features a striped bass; a powerful combo!

Fish ... Eat ... Sleep.  Whenever one can!

Every day, every tide is different on the landing.  What will the next trip bring?



No comments:

Post a Comment