Sunday, April 30, 2017

April 2017 CIR Bass Fishing


One month, one lake, two partners, seven trips and 22 bass over Michigan's size limit of 14 inches.  (Smaller bass just don't count!  But, for the sake of completeness, I did catch one under-sized bass.)  

I never got into numbers of bass, but their Average Size was about 3.4 pounds.  This is fairly incredible for me, here in Michigan, over any averaging period longer than a single trip or weekend.

I also got to enjoy 13 collateral pike to 34 inches along the way, at the cost of only one lure lost to these toothy critters.  I have myself to blame for the two I lost to docks and the single lure I accidentally smashed against the trolling motor.

The bass included one (1) verified six-pounder; another four (4) five-pounders; and another four (4) over four pounds.  Any of these fish would likely be The Fish on any given day of my bass fishing, and certainly the 5's and the 6'er are candidates for The Bass of My Season; for any given year. 


My Berkley Cutters produced several very nice bass.

A shallow Shadow Rap was often my first choice for the day.

This fish revealed a consistently productive cranking location.

Slow Carolina-cranking with a KVD/Strike King crank bait was irresistible to several nice bass bass.

The first fish to eat a WarPig for me this season weighed 5.75 pounds.


Within 10 minutes, this 6.1-pounder ate the same bait!

Change with the conditions and keep on catching!

The jerk-baits came full circle over the course of the month.

My last bass of April 2017 is the archetype specimen for the month; 18 inches and a bit over three pounds.


April 2017 was quite a month, at least in my bass fishing experience!  If you're interested in the details of the month's fishing, check the series of posts starting here for a trip-by-trip account of my humble fishing efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment