Sunday, November 1, 2015

Fishless October



It pains me to admit, but I’ve just had a Fishless October.  Now, I didn’t fish much; Numenon splashed only three times this month.  Two of those sessions targeted local muskellunge, and so it’s not exactly surprising that no fish were caught.  And truthfully, a couple of yellow perch came aboard while we fished for pike in the other.  But I’ll forgo acknowledging their capture and just admit it; I had a Fishless October.

Big winds and a mild injury generally kept me off the water; my schedule otherwise prevented me from attempting anything grand.  Of course, the actual results don’t really matter, but this is Big Fish Time and I’d like to partake!  An astonishingly large, state-record smallmouth bass was just captured here in Michigan; and probably dozens of TV Fishing Shows have been recently shot on our smallie lakes up north.  Inland and Great Lakes trout are nudging shallow, and muskies and pike have put on their feed bags.  Most fishermen have transitioned into the woods for whitetails, and the lakes are never crowded.  Despite the barriers imposed by weather (of which wind is the most meaningful component to me), it’s a glorious time of year to be on the water.

This glory has kept my mind alive with memories and hope, usually of the piscatorial persuasion.  There hasn’t been much time actually on the water, but there’s been a lot of time spent thinking about it.  And even if it hasn’t paid off this October, this time might be an investment in future success.  Tackle needs, new knots, patterns and presentations have all been addressed, and I’ve visualized success.  So I should be prepared to execute when the opportunity arises.


A mild start to November is forecast, so there’s still a chance for me to redeem my fall fishing before the season is truly over.  It’s not really over until Numenon gets put to sleep for the winter.  I’m not inclined to put her away until I am forced to by weather, schedule or Holidays, so who knows what I might have to share by the end of November.

No comments:

Post a Comment