Wednesday, April 9, 2014

2014 Warm-up; Sucker Fishing



I’ve opened each of the last four or five open-water seasons here in West Michigan with a session of sucker fishing on a quiet section of a local river.  This started as a simple way of possibly putting the kids on some fish; but I have to admit, I’ve grown to like it!  I’m becoming attached to both the incipient tradition, but also to the simplicity of the act; and I enjoy the satisfaction of the first “real” fish of the year sliding up on the bank.  Plus, you never know what might happen!

Once again it is Spring Break.  The girls are off at college or traveling to visit relatives; I’ll be flying to Boston later in the week to hook up with all of them at a regional collegiate championship tournament and to make the long drive home.  (This, too, is becoming a tradition!)  Most of West Michigan has been vacated for points south, and my primary work is pretty quiet, since the local exodus includes many of my customers.  We’ve now enjoyed several consecutive days of seasonally nice weather for the first time in about 5 months, and I’m admittedly distracted.

There’s still ice on Lake Michigan and many of the local lakes, and the new sonar is not yet installed; so boating right now isn’t feasible.  I was smart enough to conclude my most recent shift at C’s with the purchase of a few dozen garden worms and some split shot.  The light spinning rods are already rigged and ready, and the rest of my sucker gear collection (a portable cooler with some small hooks, extending forked sticks, and a pair of needle-nose pliers) has stayed intact; and so it was very easy to hit my spot today after work.

The first things I purchased when C’s opened were these forked sticks; that must say something about my affection for this.


My favorite spot is basically an eddy below an extended riffle.  I can fish with a light shot here in the slower current and still find bottom.  The sweet spot in the eddy seems to shift, both between visits and during a session.  I haven’t quite figured out “Why?”, but usually in a few casts I can figure out where I’ll get bit.  As I approached, I could tell somebody else had already tried the spot; they had left behind their forked stick and some litter.  The litter (packaging) indicated to me that their sinkers and hooks were way too big (in my experience or for my taste); I can only hope that they weren’t wildly successful, because I don’t really need to clean up after them again.

Perhaps the calendar says “Spring Break”, but local conditions are a couple of weeks (or so) behind schedule.  There’s still some snow on the ground, the lakes are still covered in ice, and we had a frost a couple of nights ago.  I didn’t really know if the suckers would have arrived yet.  They’ve been there for me each spring, but in different sizes, quantities and species each year.  I questioned whether I was too early to hope for any success.

This concern was partially alleviated by the observation of a garter snake and some stoneflies hatching.  I was also pleased to see that the water was not too high, and reasonably clear.  My timing concern was quickly dismissed when the first worm I offered was inhaled and 2014’s First Fish (again, discounting ice fishing and my trip to Florida) was landed.

2014's First Fish!



Each beauty was released.
I landed a generous Baker's Dozen or so in the next hour and a half. The action started off hot and then dwindled; I don’t think there were too many fish in the hole.   All were the same species (redhorse, I believe), and all were about the same size.  I’d guess that these were male scouts, the first to arrive for this year’s spawn.  Fishing here should only get better as spring progresses.

The pursuit of suckers is not the most exciting sport; but these fish were big enough and strong enough to bend my rods and pull some drag.  The session gave me the opportunity to try out my new 2014 Michigan Fishing License, to get a little slimy and muddy, and to appreciate the quality of my custom sucker rod (6.5 feet, slow action and medium-light action) and new Nanofil line.  These paid off handsomely with a double-digit bonus carp.  This hole seems to be good for one a year, and this one seriously tested my gear.  It was a simple, fun, successful outing.  I suspect I’ll be back in 2015.

Double digit, bonus carp.

I suspect I need fishing experiences beyond suckers; but I need this experience, too. ***


A Spring Favorite of mine.  

*** I'm not alone; check out this blog from In-Fisherman that I found today (but after I'd decided I was going to go); http://www.in-fisherman.com/2014/03/05/sweet-sucker-fishing-thing/






No comments:

Post a Comment