Friday, December 6, 2013

Analysis, Catalysis, or Paralysis


“Hey, Jackie Chiles, what do you have to share with us today?”

Jackie Chiles - from the web!

“All my clients are victims of Analysis, Catalysis, or Paralysis!  Give me the green light and I’ll figure out the best angle to get this lawsuit started!”
***
Jackie sees Victims, but “The New Steve” sees possible Beneficiaries.  What’s the difference?  None, just perspective and which side of a transaction you happen to be on.  Just be aware that these three states moderate our (in-)actions and outcomes.  Each can save your life, or leave you there, holding an empty bag.

·       Analysis!  I’m an analytical guy.  I depend upon and thrive in the presence of Data.  I need information.  I need a basis for decisions and to be able to envision how things work, and to anticipate probable outcomes and associated consequences.  I need a plan.   I don’t just start fishing; each cast or trolling spread is a calculated attempt at maximizing my contact with the fish of choice.  My fishing attempts are a well thought-out process under constant scrutiny.   But I can spend so much time and effort thinking about it, that I run out of time or energy to do it.

·       Catalysis!  Let’s get something going!  Recognizing a desire for a nice Striper Boat or multiple Tropical Bluewater Fishing Trips in my future, but not really seeing the means to secure these sorts of things, I took on a second job.  Some Fish Cred should spin off from this effort, too, and I should be in position to act on certain future desires.  Similarly, you can’t catch them from the couch; given the chance to fish, go!

·       Paralysis!  But it’s so easy to just stay on the couch!  There are so many reasons to do so!  Ease!  Inertia! Fear!  Lack of Information!  Warmth!  Dryness!  Laziness (?)  OK, I won’t accept laziness, but I could certainly disguise my lack of enthusiasm for certain endeavors as arising from a lack of pertinent information.  Of course, not doing sometimes makes more sense than actually doing it (think “safety”); but the opportunity cost of not acting is unknown.  Rarely are there Accidental Heroes and you’ll never know what would have happened on a trip you didn’t take.

Now I really like fishing, and one aspect that I appreciate the most is simply figuring the day’s situation out.  Given available time, access and materials, what’s my best bet to catch some nice fish of choice?  And since I probably won’t get it right with Plan A, what are Plans B and C?  What tools do I need and when’s the optimal time to switch gears?  I’m motivated by all this; I’ve taken on a multi-dimensional, dynamic puzzle and I Iove seeking its solution.

And yet, don’t certain of my friends and acquaintances still catch fish and enjoy themselves, without really knowing what the “H” is going on?  Haven’t they saved themselves a ton of effort, angst and expense?  After all, haven’t I largely taken care of that?  And aren’t they occasionally better off, maybe sipping a beer in the comfort of their homes instead of battling the elements and unwilling fish?  Don’t they “win” when I’m dark, cold, wet, lonely, broken or fishless?

Let’s consider a recently planned trip to Lake St. Clair.  Analysis quickly indicates that the cure for my Muskie Fever ain’t “More cow-bell!”, but rather access to some quality fish; and that the greatest numbers of fish with the radius of a reasonable day trip reside in this world-class fishery.  With quality smallmouth and largemouth bass as Plans B and C, respectively, a day off work and a seemingly good weather window, it appeared as though I’d finally launch Numenon on her waters.  But I wanted to share the day with Katie, and while she likes fishing a lot, she doesn’t really embrace extreme fishing; and faced with an all-day effort, a long drive, unknown waters, and a mildly marginal forecast of sea conditions, when I noticed an atmospheric ripple sweeping across St. Clair from the southeast (the most unprotected direction from our access point) the night before our trip, it was all too easy (even though Numenon was fully loaded for each anticipated St. Clair scenario) to fall back on Plan D, which called for a continued, joint muskie quest on local Lake M. 

And so we enjoyed a full day’s effort, casting and trolling for muskie without a single fish encounter.  It was, truthfully, a beautiful and pleasant day, and just undertaking the effort provided a great deal of satisfaction; but the day still did little to cure my fever.

Imagine my trepidation when Mr. H (who previously appeared in February’s “Twice in One Night!” entry) approached me the next night with the enthusiastic greeting, “Let me tell you about Lake St. Clair!”  It turns out he’d been to St. Clair the day before; conditions were comfortable; and while the bass fishing wasn’t great, it was fun.  At least he hadn’t crushed muskies in my absence, but now I knew I’d missed an opportunity.  And yet I know I can’t really belittle the Lake M experience I’d shared with Katie.

I see this battle every day, and at both jobs.  I find myself often “damned if I do and damned if I don’t” at my primary work; and I have customers every night who, while obviously shopping, are unable to buy an item based on lack of information, too much information, fear of being screwed, or their private  internal demons.  I have other customers who are probably dooming themselves to a life of debt and bad credit, and yet others who seem to have substituted consumerism for substance abuse.  I’ve pretty much decided that “doing” is better than “not doing” if the analysis hangs in the balance; there’s always some comfort in appreciation of the process and effort in lieu of poor results – if it comes down to that.  And you just never know what might happen.  It could be something good and memorable!

These thoughts have all sorts of other fishing implications.  One that is crystallizing for me over the last few years, is “If it’s not working, change it!”  So whether it’s a trolling spread, speed or direction; another presentation; targeted species, technique, location or water body, I’ve developed an openness to changing my tactics.  These could be sweeping changes or minor alterations.  After all, even if I’m operating with the latest and greatest equipment and information…if it’s still not working, I need to change something.  To continue otherwise would be insanity.  And yet, I also have to recognize, that maybe what needs to be changed is my timing; and that my efforts, similarly executed at the right time, will be properly rewarded.  Crap, re-reading this paragraph, maybe this isn’t about fishing after all!

Can I think of our lives as an ongoing War between Catalysis and Paralysis, as moderated by Analysis?  We’re either acting on information or not; and we may or me not be utilizing that information properly.  I was recently told at a work In-Service that our effectiveness might be based on 85% soft “emotional” skills and 15% hard “technical” skills?  What am I supposed to do with that; are my strengths really that marginalized?  I know I have an uphill battle if that’s the case.  I know I’d at least like to argue that the proper ratio is more like 60/40. 

But maybe I should just cut right to it.  As the main character in Pain and Gain asks; “Are you a Do’er or Don’ter?”

So...are you a Do'er or a Don'ter?


I’m not sure he was too burdened by analysis, and things didn’t work out so great for him.  So maybe there’s hope for me and my path.  In the mean-time, I’ll take credit for the things I figure out, keep trying, stay safe, and merely enjoy any good results that I stumble into.  I have to believe that catching a giant fish intentionally, as planned, is better than catching the same fish by accident; but those happy accidents are also acceptable.  They too, are worthy of celebration.

2 comments:

  1. I'm SO glad you were finally able to reference Daniel Lugo!! I've been waiting.
    - Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a lot in that movie! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete