Monday, November 18, 2013

Appreciative Inquiry



I’ve always been a pretty avid reader, but that has changed this year with the second job.  Time is short, sleep is scarce, and my eyes are usually closed when not in active use.  Nevertheless, I recently finished “The Thin Book of Appreciative Inquiry” by Sue Annis Hammond (1996).   I ran across this little book in my primary work, where there’s been substantial talk about adopting such techniques.  (Note, however, that little associated action has been observed, at least in my trench.)  Towards the end of a particularly crappy work day, on the heels of a similarly poor day, I gave the book its shot.  Here, the core essence (the numenon?) of a change management technique known as “Appreciative Inquiry” is presented.  Having outlined Appreciative Inquiry’s main concepts, the author left the responsibility to act further with the reader, in an elegant manner, by acknowledging that simply by reading the book the reader has demonstrated an interest in change/something different .  She indicated her honor and respect for each reader’s chosen path.    I had indeed read the book in one sitting, and I recognized myself as a person at least interested in change. 

So it was clearly time to ask myself, “Why am I doing some of the stuff I’m doing?  Why have I largely forsaken extra family time, reading time, and 'yea verily' fishing time, for a second job that really doesn’t pay? And why do I feel compelled to blog?  How are these things related?
     
I’m certainly no Newton or Einstein, and I mean no offense to Heisenberg, but I may have uncovered a personally unifying principle.  This may have helped crystalize (to me) why I’m doing/pursuing/enjoying certain things…and it has let me accept these activities as good and productive.

I’ve not really engaged these activities to solve specific problems.  Rather, these efforts are simply displacing what I perceive to be problems or deficiencies with more fulfilling options.  I’m letting the good displace the problematic.  These efforts look like a perfect fit with the concepts of Appreciative Inquiry.  From my understanding, here’s how Appreciative Inquiry can help effect positive change:

·       Emphasize the positive and work with our strengths.  Recognize success, and do more of what works well!  We should fill our endeavors with meaning and satisfaction.  Let the contagion of this satisfaction and resultant enthusiasm build up, and then let the momentum roll.  It’s a living process, there is no end; let it lead you to a desired goal.

·       Group Assumptions are commonly-held beliefs that provide the motivation to act for the interest of a group.  Let’s be aware of their existence, specifically identify them, and evaluate their legitimacy. With this evaluation, can come the acceptance (or expectation or desire) of change.  I suspect I’ll have more to say about this later.   

·       Appreciative Inquiry is based on experience/reality and so is believable and leads to real (visualized) results; as opposed to targets based on wishes/dreams.  Appreciative Inquiry maintains a real connection to history, tradition, and the past, while dreams are not as motivating since they are not necessarily seen as attainable. 

·       Develop tangible Provocative Propositions to highlight what has worked actually well and what we can focus on.  These will allow us to do more of what works well!  Because they are tangible (they are written and are based on reality) we maintain consciousness of them!  These propositions should force us to stretch and grow, yet need to be based in reality and be currently attainable.  They should lead us in a desired direction, i.e., towards something we want.

Finally, act on these propositions to transform!  What could be simpler?

A key point singled out in the book is an appreciation for diversity, i.e. valuing difference.  After all, how can things improve if they don’t change?    Am I willing to accept that I’m as happy as I’ll ever be?  Of course not; I want to be happier.  I want all my family, friends and co-workers to be happier.  I want a fairer political system and well-cared for children and oldsters.  I want a lot.  But none of this will happen by itself; progress towards these will require change.  Our best prospects lay in our active management of that change.

So, why have I taken on the second job?  A cursory look at my current retailing endeavor would simply reveal lots of work for a small bit of money.  But I decided long ago, it wasn’t about the money.  I’m clearly getting lots more out of it.  In contrast to my primary job, I like taking on multiple manageable and resolvable issues in a given shift.  The position recognizes (somewhat) the value of my fishing experience and enthusiasm, and it provides a forum to share this experience and soak in the experiences of others.  There are many small victories, and the defeats are ephemeral.  We’ve shared some actual team-work, in a generally positive, happy atmosphere.  It’s often simply fun.  My efforts are actual action, i.e., I’m busy doing, and this has provided for actual change for me, from the physical benefits of the light (restorative) physical movement,  to a little pocket cash and some new opportunities (fishing and social.)  Most importantly, this effort has provided a dimension of reality/attainability to some of my desires for the future.

What am I getting out of blogging?  I’m capturing a little bit of my history, sharing small pieces of humor, and developing increased self-awareness.  It has provided a somewhat creative outlet and a spark for occasional conversations with those I love.  I’ve developed a respect for the challenge of matching a phrase or a photo with a memory or idea.  It’s a fun, new modern tool to remind me of where I’ve been; and an activity to let me take on and consider occasional questions of personal importance.

I know there’s more.  At the very least, these two efforts have helped me legitimately develop some Provocative Propositions that might get me to an improved future/better place. And so I leave you with the following:

·       What would it be like … to feel as though I can deserve and afford an occasional blue-water vacation?
·       What would it be like … to share my fishing lifestyle dreams as reality with those I care about?
·       What would it be like … to use these extra efforts and experiences as a real steppingstone to my next career?
·       What would it be like … to report to work on my own boat?

Today’s Bottom Line; I’m a very fortunate guy, but it’s still OK for me to want a better future.  I might as well manage my options, and who am I to argue with positive, constructive techniques such as Appreciative Inquiry?






2 comments:

  1. I read that and attended a daylong workshop on Appreciative Inquiry a few years ago. I conducted two "appreciative inquiry" discussions with library and/or IT staff and wrote reports-- so good to focus on what you like, what works, what you can do more of instead of problems! You do get at the issues I think but in a constructive and encouraging way. Nice Steve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, E. Mostly setting up today's post...

    ReplyDelete