Wednesday, January 16, 2013

You Say You Want a Resolution?



I’m not much of a New Year’s resolution maker (or keeper); I tend to make an on-going series of small behavioral choices in accordance with my principles and wants along the way.  Overall, this strategy has gotten me to a pretty comfortable place in life, albeit as an overweight, middle-aged guy with a pretty thin bank account and some room for personal improvement.  So I can (probably) rightly claim “overall success” in how I’ve conducted myself, but (definitely) not “perfection”. 

Recognizing this in this fresh New Year, as a matter of positive mental exercise, I recently made a list (of unspecified length) of Fishing Things I Want to do This Year.  At first I was reluctant to do so, since what I really want involves warm, tropical flat seas, sailfish, tuna and mahi, and appropriately matched, high quality gear.  Knowing that prospects for this in 2013 are slim, I thought thinking about the list would be a frustrating and unproductive endeavor.  But when I constrained my mind-set to realistic boundaries (geographic, economic, and ecologic), I realized quickly that I could still look forward to a bunch of fun.  My list thence came together quickly.

It’s approaching mid-January in West Michigan, and our ice has already come and gone.   It may or may not come back.  The boats are put away in storage, and it may or may not be wise to get them out.  Winter might be over.  Winter could last another two and a half months.  My current outdoor prospects are in-between.  Each viable fishing idea is compromised by some combination of convenience, safety, legality, access, wind and weather.  There’s no clear-cut way for me to take advantage of current conditions.

Oh well, I can turn to my list.  I can recall some previously documented desires, and I can celebrate the resolution(s) I’ve achieved.  I’m off to a pretty slow start so far in 2013, but I have “ice fished somewhere other than Reeds Lake.”  It has, after all, been years since I’ve attempted to ice fish anything other than my home waters.  While I didn’t take a legal fish in the 9+ hours I recently spent ice-fishing on local McEwen Lake, I did enjoy 17 or so fish flags; and I approached each one with the anticipation that I was about to be connected with my next fish of dreams.  This lake offered the first (and in my opinion, only) locally safe ice conditions.  Most of McEwen’s patrons seem to prefer pan-fishing, and so the real predators were (at least in theory) left for me.  Finally, this lake is largely undeveloped, and in the quiet conditions in which I fished, the lake offered a peaceful, restive setting in which I could await the next strike.

First flag of 2013!  Lots of action, but no keepers this day.
Watching for flags from a peaceful vantage point.

I also accepted a “job offer from a major outdoor goods supplier” this week.  Throughout the application process, the interview, and my acceptance, they made me feel really good about myself, my attitude and my talents.  I should start next month.  This will be a new experience, approached for fun and growth, in addition to whatever else I’ve got going at the moment.  I’m open to good new experiences, and I’m not beholden to the situation, so I shouldn’t be exposing myself to anything too bad.  And if I can’t fish, I might as well engage in fishing-related work, right?

While I think I’ll keep my specific list close to my chest, I’ll continue to periodically report on any progress, because I love fishing.  And that means AnticipateParticipate! and Elaborate!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations!

    The "major outdoor goods supplier" has had a tremendous run-up in its stock price over the last month (from $39 to $51).

    Make sure you negotiate stock options before the guns run out.

    Your loving financially and otherwise concerned Red(neck?) brother, Frank

    PS Put me on the wait list for a Fishin Magician and a Bushmaster ACR .223 Rem. Not particularly interested in taking final delivery of the latter, but there's always someone with a FFL who will be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goatcheese fish and you are the same person? No wonder I've never seen you together!

      And in response to your other comment...The B's may have been gone for 40 years or so...but they still have important impacts on popular culture. And K liked it.

      Delete
  2. Gosh, I failed to comment upon your dry title for this blog entry. Outstanding! But where is your photo of your fishing shack? No pic even in the age of the omni-present camera-phone? Fascinating, our world today. With technology, man now knows more about his fellow man and the world he lives in than ever before. Yet we still know very little. We know very little, for example, about the topic of today's program: the shark. The shark has lived in the same form for millions of years. The word "Shark" came from the German word "shirke," which means "villain." How deep is the ocean? Nobody really knows for sure. Today's program and fishing adventure should prove to be fun. But it could also prove to be very, very dangerous. The shark has made fatal attacks on humans in every ocean in the world. There are 27 man-eating species of sharks. When it comes to the shark, man is on his menu.

    No copyrights were infringed in this discourse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Real Men ice fish in the open.
    2. Congrats on your excellent memory!
    3. Marietta must be a real husker-doo kind of town.

    ReplyDelete