Thursday, July 19, 2012

Ponds


Ponds

Probably like most fisherman, I was introduced to fishing at ponds.  Small and safe, accessible, plentiful and sometimes generous, interesting enough but lacking the distractions of bigger waters, ponds are the logical starting point to the sport.  If I have a fault as a fishing father, it’s probably that I’ve done too little simple fishing with my daughters.  They’ve probably missed out on many of the simpler joys and problems of being out on the water, having been ferried about to larger destinations for larger, more glamorous fish.  They’ve both participated in some pretty epic catches, but their foundation of fishing experience and knowledge might be a bit shaky because of this lack of pond fishing experience.  But, as I currently appreciate, you can always go back to simplicity, and re-gain what you might have previously missed or lost.  I’ll be there for them and their children at the appropriate time, and ponds will be there for all of us when we’re ready.

The Duck Pond was about a mile away, but easy to get to.  It lay right at the end of my road, and traffic wasn’t so bad that I couldn’t walk or bike there with somebody else.  It was probably a couple of acres and no more than 5 feet deep, so it wasn’t the grandest of waters.    But it was accessible and it had live things in it!  My earliest memories of the Duck Pond involve feeding the local waterfowl, but I also remember some bluegills.  I remember them as glistening purplish blue and spiky, and about the size of aquarium fish.  By second or third grade, I’d graduated to the occasional bass on a worm under a float.  My floats were wooden thread bobbins.  For some reason, we had an endless supply of these in the house.  I find this fact somewhat mysterious, but I’ll take it now as just an example of how much our lives have changed in the last 40 years or so.

At about this same time, a bulldozer arrived in the wet, swampy spot kitty-corner from my childhood home, and started clearing some trees and creating a depression.  This just sat there for what seemed like the longest time, but in our wet fall season, the soil became mud, the mud  held water, and by season’s end there was The Pond, just in time for winter and ice skating. 

The Pond could have claimed me twice before ever yielding a fish.  As it filled that first fall, one day I was alone, throwing rocks from a pond-side boulder into the mud and enjoying the pleasant pudding penetration of each toss.  With clearly remembered, intentional youthful enthusiasm, I tried to make my last throw really count; and I did a perfect, unintentional swan dive off the rock.  My face-plant into the cold pudding-mud was complete, and I remember the struggle to first release my face from the choking mud, and then to physically remove my body and make it the couple of hundred yards home.  The second incident is a more blurry (perhaps in testimony to the seriousness of the situation), but it happened at the end of that first ice season.  Let’s just agree that riding a bike on ice is a thrill, a thrill that is enhanced by the visible buckling of the ice.  Waves of ice followed me and a playmate as we zoomed around.  He was the first to go through, and I watched him scrabble out of the water.  I remember my surprise as I simultaneously went through, but I remember little else other than the shock of the freezing water.  I also recall the warm bath (a weekday afternoon rarity) where I regained my senses, but I have no idea whether I got there myself or with some help from a sibling.  Let’s further agree that this is probably a situation that should have been avoided, and that I’ve grown to appreciate good luck as a solution to issues that I’ve no further control over.

Somehow bass got into the pond, and within a summer or two, I was in hot pursuit.  My first one came on a Dardevle; I sought assistance from a stranger to remove the hooks.  His ire helped me realize my need to develop some self-sufficiency. Dardevles, Mepps spinners and Rebel minnows; the occasional live frog; and later on, mass-produced flies, 12 to a card, both under a float and with a fly rod; all these methods introduced me to every bass in The Pond (or so I thought), multiple times.  Meanwhile, I figured out how to catch the sizable goldfish in The Pond; and experienced my first real fish-fight when a sizeable and ornery horned-pout took my dough ball intended for a goldie.  This variety of size, temperament and method contributed to my interest in the pursuit, and I spent a lot of time at The Pond over the course of the next decade.

If I’d already succumbed to the "al-lure" of fishing, my Dad set the hook when he started taking me to Stump Pond to fish for bass with shiners.  From my first catch of a chain pickerel, when my Dad enthusiastically jumped in the water to ensure its capture, to my first bass with him later that night; through some exciting top-water strikes and missed runs; my interest and skills progressed until my Dad (happily) let me do all the fishing work.  I probably graduated from his tutelage on a mid-May day when I free-lined a shiner (no float!) to a sizable bass, lost some line to an actual run against the drag (a rarity!), fought the fish calmly and carefully released her.  He just watched and enjoyed himself, and our fishing relationship and roles were cemented in place.

Golden shiner - from the web

My interest in fishing was in full bloom, when as a young teenager, the first Bass Pro Shops catalog arrived.  It was full of stuff that I’d only been able to read about in Bassmaster magazine.  I was given the very generous clearance to purchase some lures (I still have some of these!) , and my experience widened.  Topwaters, frogs, buzz-baits, cranks and worms all entered the tackle box.  I spent time with each, made some mistakes, had some success, and started to form some opinions about what to use when, how to use it, etc.  I also experienced that first “Aha!” type moment in my fishing, when one sweltering summer day, for some innate reason, I just KNEW the bass would be active on topwaters and frogs in The Piggery.  I made the mid-day hike through the woods and could have just slaughtered the bass, had I known anything about matching my tackle to conditions and presentations; how to tie a reliable knot; when to set the hook with different baits and so forth.  I did catch a couple of nice, multi-pound bass while missing and/or losing a whole bunch of other chances.  It was almost like the fishing described in my magazines, and I’d done it all by myself.


I don’t know for sure where The Piggery got its name.  By the time I had started fishing this set of small gravel ponds, most of the landscape was covered with junk cars.  And while it was probably private property (and possibly across state lines), nobody seemed to care about access or fishing here.  The bass and bluegills here were sizable, and the ponds presented a variety of emergent and submerged vegetation with deep-water access.  The fish had different options on any given day, and I learned about the need for flexibility, as well as the need for the right tool (lure) for the right job (presentation.)  Each day was different, and I was enjoying figuring this out.

Now with wheels and often accompanied by Amy, my future wife, ponds continued to assert themselves as I found sporadic success in a variety of small, local waters.  Some ponds were for ‘gills, others were for Texas rigging.  Another was for frogging and swimming floating worms through pads and slop, and I publically learned that Carbuncle Pond was for “How the hell should I know?” (what) kind of fish.  Quite often the biggest bass of the year came to hand in these small settings, so in addition to the local lessons learned, they consistently provided a quality experience.  They also offered a reprieve from the bigger waters I was now likely to fish here in Michigan.  Hassles associated with these waters (wind, changing conditions with multiple environmental options, seasonal bait invasions, boat control and general recreational over-use) were mitigated by many of my ponds and kept fishing fun.

It was about time I realized that when I recently acquired half ownership in a small tin boat, motor and trailer combo.  This boat and fond memories of our previous pond experiences led to the discovery of “Amy Lake”, right under our noses.   The first excursion on this quiet, undeveloped pond yielded a nice keeper bass to a twitched Rapala right away; and several more keeper-size bass, including one approaching four pounds.  The quality of the bass, the interesting setting, the different birds and the general experience offered by this lake has kept me coming back.  I’ve learned to simplify my approach on this lake to the extent that I have confidence that a top-water, a frog, a Texas-rigged creature or worm, or a Senko will take the available bass.  I don’t have to worry too much about colors or location, either, and this pond offers a Busman’s Holiday to me after the difficult/intensive fishing of Lake Michigan, or even Reeds Lake.

Amy Lake at its finest

Earlier this June, circumstances led me to a day on Dewey’s Mill Pond in Vermont.  Not yet weed-choked for the season, it reminded me very much of many of the ponds I’ve mentioned already.  While Katie received guided instruction in the front of the boat, I fished on my own from the back.  When top-water fishing proved slow, I turned to the guide’s Texas rigged black worm at the ready.  We ended up having an excellent day, and we even caught a bunch of quality fish on top of that, even though the fishing was not easy.  Katie incorporated an entire childhood of bassin' instruction into a single day.  She got pretty good with the worm and turned the biggest bass of the day (and maybe the season.)  Fishing a black plastic worm around weeds and wood for large-mouth bass; does it get any simpler? 

Katie with her largest bass of the day

Somehow Katie and I had skipped this step in our rush for salmon, stripers and mahi, but this single day grounded us both; and waters such as this gem of a pond offer a safe harbor, hopefully forever protecting and renewing our interests in fishing.  Marie’s exclamation of “Holy Crap!” when she first saw a solid keeper pike beside the boat, and the family’s recent enjoyment of a quick Reeds Lake summer outing remind me that the simplicity, ease and focus of fishing these ponds is the flip side of the excitement and gamble of big-water fishing for glamorous species.  Neither of these experiences can be fully appreciated without an appreciation of the other.  A two-pound bass reflects nicely against a Great Lakes steelie; and the technology, equipment, excitement and effort  involved with Great Lakes trolling contrasts with stumbling out of the tent, sleep-walking down the hill and chunking a mackerel or floating a worm for a Madokawando striper.   Ponds need to be part of my fishing equation.  They stand by themselves, but they enhance my other fishing quests, too.  I’m ready, right now, for that next pond trip!  

Vermont pond bassin'
Great Lakes Steel

No comments:

Post a Comment